Friday, April 27, 2012

Professional Angst

Dear Amber,

I know you've struggled recently with issues in the workplace, I'm hoping you can give me some guidance.  The position I'm in at work is one that I am VERY good at, I love being a Social Worker!  But to be quite honest, I could do this job with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back.  This brings with it a level of comfort which is often confused with a lack of challenge.  I have to admit, I'm feeling a little bored.  I feel as though I am not living up to my own potential.  But, I'm just so damn comfortable. 
I interviewed for a Director of Discharge Planning position at another nursing facility earlier this week. 

Which would mean a lot of changes:

1.  I'd be once again managing staff-granted a small staff of 2.
2.  I'd be making a significantly higher salary.
3.  Health insurance is more affordable.
4.  It's a for profit corporation (which I have to admit has never worked out for me)
5.  It would be a more challenging population to work with, ie. sick, old people elders without financial resources.
6.  I'd need to learn a whole new set of office politics and make new friends-which I'm not sure I want to, I tend to over-share and there are plenty of people in this world who "know" me.
7.  It would mean that we'd be able to buy another home sooner rather than later.  (we currently live in a 2 bed room apartment)--we may even be able to buy my parents' home, the one where I was raised.
8.  I LOVE the people I currently work with, especially Laurie, my supervisor and Darden the dietician.  (however, co-workers come and go--we won't all be here together--forever)
9.  I've never been employed anywhere--in my entire life for more than two years...I think I get antsy and feel the need to move on (or my employer does).....Am I just getting antsy as I've been here a year and a half already?
10.  Should I want to be challenged?  Is it OK to be comfortable?  



Help, I need some guidance.




Dear Sarah,

Leaving a job is always a huge risk.  If you are currently happy, you could find yourself unhappy (which was the case with my most recent job change).  And if you are currently unhappy, you could find yourself even more unhappy (which is my greatest fear surrounding my current job search).

Generally though I am in favor of leaving a job you've grown too comfortable in and looking for a newer challenge.  I think most of us thrive more personally when we find ourselves comfortably and appropriately challenged at work.  However, if the new job is too challenging, you could end up overstressed and more unhappy personally.  Again, it's a gamble.

I don't think the frequent job changing in and of itself is a bad thing.  In fact, in today's work force, it actually seems more common for people to move around every 2-3 years than to stay with the same company for 20, like in the good ol' days.

But here is the advice I'll pass to you that my dad always gave to me: Apply for the job.  It can't hurt.  You might not even get an interview.  But if you do get one: go, do well, find out more about the company and it's atmosphere.  Wait until you've been made an official offer before you start worrying about whether or not you'd actually take it.



No comments:

Post a Comment