Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kony 2012

Dear Sarah,

Have you seen this video yet?



I first became aware of the organization Invisible Children in 2005.  I think I heard about them on the Oprah show. (?)

I was drawn to this cause, and even attended a few Invisible Children events.  But I live in a middle class, white bread world, and this cause fell off my radar when I moved to Ohio (new job...new marriage...new babies).

I think this is a beautiful documentary bringing to light an incredibly important issue that WE ALL as humans should be considered about.

But you know what ticks me off Sarah?  It seems any time there are these organizations seeking to do good, there are people whose sole mission in life it seems is to try to discredit them and knock them down.  As the Kony 2012 mission is beginning to take off, so come out of the woodwork people trying to sabotage them.  Take this article on the Daily What.  They call the Invisible Children (a non-profit organization designed to prevent the murder of children) "misleading,” “naive,” and “dangerous”.  Want to see the original sentence that these quotes refer to:

There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa. It’s often not an accidental choice of words, even if it’s unwitting. It hints uncomfortably of the White Man’s Burden.

So, these men think this movement is dangerous because it encourages "white men" (1st would countries) to help stop atrocities on "black men" (3rd world countries).

He also goes on to try and discredit the organization for spending a large chunk of it's revenue producing the above documentary.  The documentary they are using to bring awareness and action to their cause.

I will admit.  I am not a fan of organizations that seem to operate for the sole purpose of awareness (ahem, Susan B. Komen).  However, if you watch the video, they are trying to lay out a plan! The awareness is their effort to get the plan going.  You have to get citizens united about a cause, or the politicians won't care.

The narrator of the documentary wrote this article in response to the swirling criticism.  Including this break down of their 2011 finances:


I'm not saying people shouldn't question.  They should.  And we should hold organizations accountable.  But Sarah, when every organization is constantly challenged and degraded and discredited, what do we have left to believe in?  To support?

Maybe it's Pollyanna of me, but I'd like to believe that more people are compassionate and care about these types of causes than we would believe, but they are being held back from speaking up or participating because we have become a nation of cynicals and doubters.  We think every organization is just out to misappropriate funds and benefit someone/thing other than the cause it names.

For now, I'm choosing to support the Invisible Children.  And I already ordered a pack of 25 posters ($5) from their website to post around my town on April 20.  Because I can spare $5 and an hour or so of my time if it will in any way support a cause to bring less suffering to people who have experienced so much.

Thoughts?


Dear Amber,

I hadn't seen this video, until just a few moments ago.  A co-worker forwarded this video to me this morning.  I didn't want to open the video at work and forgot to open when I got home. 

As a mother I cannot imagine living in Uganda and the worry they experience.  As a person, what is taking place in Uganda is heart breaking, gut wrenching, appalling, inhumane, a tragedy that will ear mark this generation. 



Reading the article about Invisible Children offers reassurance that the charitable contributions are managed effectively and that IR takes fiscal responsibility seriously. 

Am I surprised that our media and members of our society are attempting to tarnish IR's reputation?-No.  Some folks operate on a glass 1/2 empty, the world is out to get me, nobody likes me and I might as well go eat worms perspective.  Could racism be driving some of these individuals...abso-freakinglutely!  Is it shameful and disgusting...yes indeed.

We to catch this guy and stop the horrible crimes committed!




No comments:

Post a Comment