Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wrinkle

Dear Amber,

Anti wrinkle cream or no anti wrinkle cream?  As I settle into my 30's, my forehead wrinkles are beginning to bother me.  Botox would probably be the most effective situation, but nah, I'm not into injecting foreign matter into my body.  Someone suggested to me that I could cut bangs to hide the forehead wrinkles, but my face is too round for bangs and I end up looking like the head of a penis.  In the face of looking like the head of a penis----I'll stick with my forehead wrinkles...after all, I've earned them.  However, if you know of a wrinkle cream or other cosmetic solution to the crevasses that decorate my face, please share.

   

Dear Sarah,

Are you freaking kidding me?!  I just saw you last week and you are gorgeous!  You DEFINITELY DO NOT NEED BOTOX!

I am personally opposed to cosmetic surgery.  At least for vanity.  Fixing a cleft palate, okay.  Boob job after a mastectomy, I can get on board with that.  Getting a face lift because you are 50 and want to look 25...you don't need a plastic surgeon, you need a psychiatrist.

Let me ask you something, what bothers you about your wrinkles?  They are a sign you are getting older.  What is wrong with that?

You want to look 16 again?  Do you remember 16?  It wasn't that great.  Drama, insecurity, high school.  Bleh!

Now you are 30-something.   You have a degree.  You have a job you love.  You are married.  You have two fabulous kids.  Life is good.

And along the way to this life, you have EARNED these wrinkles.  You have earned them during those late nights back in college.  While nursing your babies late at night.  While worrying as you clasp a friend-in-need's hand.  Would you ever trade those?

And sure, you've earned some from on the job stress and the bump in the roads we all have, but those are the thunderstorms to our rainbows, so to trade those would mean sacrificing those good moments too.

I have another reason I despise plastic surgery...  Over the last five years, I have personally experienced the death of five thirty-something friends/acquaintances.  All were unexpected.  All left behind mourning friends, family, and/or young children.  And I'm sure all of them would gladly take on 100 extra wrinkles to have one more day on earth with their loved ones.  Time has stopped for them.  They will not grow old.  They do not get that privilege: the luxury of graying hair, sagging body parts, and wrinkles.  Because yes, these signs of aging are signs that we are moving towards the end of our lives, but they are also signs that we are still alive.  We are living!  And I choose to appreciate every day I have on earth.

I hope to go to my grave covered in a full head of gray hair, a wrinkled body, and ta-tas that sag to my waist.

RIP my friend. Taken way too early.  I grow old for you.

Dear Amber,

Nope, not afraid of growing old.  In fact, I'm enamered with old age.  However, I don't like my forehead wrinkles.  I have a strange affection for my stretch marks though. I think of them as "war wounds." I know exactly how I got each and every one of them.  But the forehead wrinkles bother me and they're likely to only get worse with age.  Still not gonna consider any sort of cosmetic surgery or anything, that's just a big ol' waste of money to me.  I will however, continue to look for a fabulous, forehead-wrinkle remover cream!


No comments:

Post a Comment