Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Reincarnation

Dear Amber,

What are your thoughts on reincarnation? 



 Reincarnation is defined as:

the belief that the soul, upon death of the body, comes back to earth in another body or form.
I know that reincarnation is not a part of our Christian society.  I have a strong feeling though and I have a hankering to believe in reincarnation.
What do you think?
 
 
 
Dear Sarah,
 
People are always surprised when they find out that I regularly attend and am a member of a Christian church, but I do not believe in heaven or hell.  "What do you believe in then?"
 
I believe in the law of physics which states that: energy cannot be created nor destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another.
 
So what does that have to do with reincarnation?  Well, it means that while I don't think that when I die I will come back as a puppy or a grasshopper or the next Britney Spears, I do think that my energy will return to the earth.  I just don't know what form that will take.

My favorite depiction of afterlife, the one I am most inclined to hope is true, is the one depicted by award winning author Sheri Reynolds in her novel A Gracious Plenty.  If you have not read this book yet, I highly suggest it.  In the book, Reynolds depicts the dead as the ones who control nature.  Some push the clouds through the sky, some peel the skins off the snakes, and children pull the grass from the ground and blow the dandelions across the field.

To me, that is the real meaning of "we therefore commit his body to the ground, earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, in sure and certain hope of resurrection to eternal life".  I feel our energy came from the universe and when we die, so it shall return.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment